Sunday, June 7, 2009

Point Lookout Lighthouse

After we went to see Zane and his 5th grade class in his robotics challenge (after this blog) we decided to go on down to Point Lookout in Scotland, Maryland. This is a picture I found on the Internet, I took all the other pictures.
I didn't realize that you could tour the inside of the lighthouse, but because we were there on the first Saturday of the month we were able to go inside free.
This is one of the many lighthouses built by John Donoho, located at the the confluence of the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. The lantern was lit September 20, 1830 and put out on October 14, 1965.
This is the kitchen and the first room of the tour. The man standing there eating his sandwich told Sid and I a little of the history and told us that this is the most haunted lighthouse there is. He told us that people that take pictures often see ghosts in their pictures, but as you will see the ghosts must have been out to lunch while we were there.
Here is Sid going up the stairs to the second story.

I took a picture of Sid going through the hole into the lantern. I tried to go up and only got half through the hole. I just couldn't make it. After falling 5 feet through the floor at a pharmacy I worked at I couldn't make myself go up through that hole.
While Sid was up there I handed him the camera and he took some great pictures. The Potomac River on one side and the Chesapeake Bay on the other side.

After the tour there is always some room with things to buy. The lady was really nice.

This was the last room of the tour and alas no ghosts.


On our way out of the park I saw a sign of a wharf. Sid really didn't want to go over but guess who was driving so in I went and found out you could drive right to the wharf and park and then walk out to the wharf.

Actually we both enjoyed the walk and Sid talked to a lot of the fishermen asking about what they were catching. The fishermen and women were quite friendly and seemed to enjoy talking to us.


Looking out to the end of the wharf and then back at the shore.
This fellow had his wife ( I assume) open up their cooler and let me see the fish they had caught. Now Sid wants to buy some poles and go and fish on the wharf. Take our chairs, lunch, big hats and fish all day. It is only about 40 miles away and a lot closer than the fishing we did in Utah.

We were almost out of the Park when Sid saw this enchanted cottage. He had me turn around and take some pictures of it. I think this is probably the best picture.

Then we stopped and looked at some memorials to the confederate soldiers that had been prisoners on Point Lookout. I have confederate soldiers on my line so I was interested although none of my ancestors names were here.



Sid and I had a wonderful Saturday. We drove down 435 and came home on 5. I liked the drive home better because of no heavy traffic and just the beautiful trees of Maryland.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Great picture mom. I thought it was the same lighthouse we went into . . . but no, we saw a different one! Did the ghosts make all of the holes in the ceilings and walls? rofl

Sally Young said...

I loved this post on your blog. The pics where great. I need to come out East and see all the cool sites. I love lighthouses. Thanks for sharing