Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Memories

Last year the Bainter's bought two peach trees.  This spring both have brought forth blossoms.  That reminded me of the peach trees that we planted in Sutherland in 1977.  Only one tree lived, because of the alkaline soil, and when it produced its first blossoms in 1978 we had to take pictures of it.  I think we had three years of peaches and then we had a May snow storm that divided it down the middle.



We were pretty happy to finally get a fruit tree to grow there in Sutherland.  I had tried in Abraham without any luck.  We finally had 2 cherry tree, 2 apples and some apricots grow in Sutherland.  The apples and apricots produced like crazy but the cherries just dried up before they were ripe.

Now 33 years later.


It will be interesting to see how many of these blossoms make it to the ripe peach stage. 


9 comments:

Lora said...

Love the pictures! Trudy and Stevie really look alike don't they :)

I hope you get some yummy peaches!

King Family said...

Look at Mom! I love the piggy tails! Too cute.

Sally Young said...

Love the peaches. We also planted apeach tree last year. I am hoping that we can make a go of it.

McKay said...

Looks good. I was really glad to see blossoms this year. I thought maybe they died. It looks like our trees in Sutherland were much, much taller. I also liked seeing the church in the background. Lots of memories....thanks....
Stevie was just told by someone at school yesterday how much she looks like me--maybe she's starting to believe it!

McKay said...

obviously McKay has been on my computer--that was and is actually TRUDY

Grandpa Sid said...

Those aren't pigtails Halley, they are "Pekinese Poofs"

Tina said...

Oh MY GOSH! The comments on this are better than the post!!! Not really! but almost . . . . .

That brings back memories ma! and wow! what a difference a camera can make with the photos. Love your close ups.

Dad, you crack me up!

The only one left out of the pics was Sid . . . wonder where he was? I remember that day!

And I was thinking that McKay all the sudden had gotten long winded . . . . and I was wondering why he commented, he's never done so before . . . . . and it's funny that he was logged into YOUR computer Trude! that kid!

I didn't wear pig tails very often . . . they hurt my head and my hair just isn't suited to them, you are right dad, they were poofs!

King Family said...

They're poofs alright!

I was shocked by the post by "McKay" too!! Too funny!

Mary Jo said...

That is so fun! I love the pictures. I hope your blossoms turn into lots of yummy peaches. :)