Friday, May 2, 2008

Starting seeds

Well, I don't have enough to do so two Saturdays ago, April 26th, I made some pots out of newspaper and started some seeds. They are doing great. You can almost see them grow.
Last week Steve tilled the garden and now Grandpa and I need to plant our Red sweet corn, plus some white, and white and yellow sweet corn and these plants. I have some sweet potatoes coming in the middle of this month. Hopefully we will get some tomatoes and other plants that we like.

These are Burpee's Early Hybrid Crenshaw
These are Cucumbers



These are Eight Ball zucchini. Hopefully they will do better than the regular Zucchini. The regular zucchini die after they put on two or three fruits.




The starting of a new leaf on the Zucchini



4 comments:

Tina said...

I am having a hard time finding any squash or cucumber starts . . . and they won't just start on their own in the garden here as you probably have found out. That is cool how you made your own pots with newspaper. You'll have to show me how you did that. You could put a tutorial on your blog!!

Sharp Family said...

So I just saw that "Sid-cell" on youtube-and WOW! That is amazing! I would love to know what your power source is and how much power it requires vs generates. that is amazing, I knew you were smart, but that is really cool, and I think I will be right in line with Tina for a conversion kit!

-Mickel

young family said...

I miss growing things, everything we have grown just doesn't taste right :( Is the eight ball zuchini round when it grows? Like a ball?

I have never heard of making your own pots, very cool.

The two old crows said...

The zuccini is supposed to be round like a eight ball. I have never raised them before.

When you are poor you you find ways of making different things. I found out how to make pots in the Johnson home in Sutherland.

Hopefully dad will make a tutorial on making the pots.