Saturday, July 5, 2008

Rhubarb Custard PIe

I just couldn't help myself. I have been eating rhubarb pie since I was little. It started I think in eating Aunt Ella's Custard Pie, oh it was so good. She was a German and just a good cook, my mom could never figure out how come all of us could eat so much at Uncle Luther and Aunt Ella's.

Then I married grandpa and his mother Emily had a rhubarb custard pie recipe to die for. She used the same recipe for gooseberries. We had rhubarb and gooseberries plants for these delicious pies in Abraham and I took starts of rhubarb every where we moved.

Well I saw some rhubarb here at the local store as I was shopping for the beach and couldn't help myself. It was $2.98 a lb but that didn't stop me I just had to have it.

Soooo today I made a rhubarb custard Pie and
it is so good. Grandpa and I had ours in a bowl with
cream, oh what a delight.



Rhubarb pie brings back such pleasant memories of my childhood and also of raising my own family in Abraham. I wish that my rhubarb plants here in Maryland were as healthy as those in Utah. Earlier this year I cut enough for a rhubarb cake, didn't have quite enough but it was good.

5 comments:

young family said...

That looks yummy. I hope your rhubarb starts growing better for you.

Tina said...

Okay, now I think I understand your liking for rhubarb pie. I just never liked the stuff!! Maybe now that I'm older my tastebuds would appreciate it, but I'm not totally sure about that! Glad YOU enjoy it!

Bainter Family Antics said...

The pie was absolutely yummy. I had mine with cream also. I just love custard pies! The combination of the sour with the sweet is an awesome thing. I must go buy some rubarb for myself now.

Bainter Family Antics said...

Well Mother, I bought some rhubarb at the store today. I'll be making my own pie soon!!! Baxter is excited!!!

King Family said...

I don't think I have ever had rubarb pie. It sounds interesting. Maybe I'll have to ask you to make it next time we come out.