Saturday, February 11, 2012

Old Age


When does Old Age start feeling like Old Age?  Since Sid and I are closing in on 70 I'm waiting to start feeling my age.

I admit that on some days I feel old and others I feel young.




I asked my dad, then in his 80's, how old do you feel?  He told me most days he feels like 20 but then he goes and does yard work, or tries to walk to the store and then he knows he is old.


Then there are your hands.   I loved my Gran's hands. She said, "just you wait until your my age and you won't like your wrinkly hands".  Of course this hand of mine was taken 20 years ago, but at the time one of my daughters was looking at her hands and thought, " Oh dear my hands are looking old like my mother's hands".











This is me at age 18.  In my mind I still feel, most days, that I'm still 18, and then Sid and I go walking or go on a vacation and come home and then I feel my age.









I found an article in the New York Times entitled How Old is Old Age?

"Most adults over age 50 feel at least 10 younger than their actual age.  One-third of those between 65 and 74 said they felt 10 to 19 years younger, and one-sixth of people 75 and older said they felt 20 years younger". (Survey by Sarah Arnquist).

At what age does old age begin? "Most people in the survey said it begins at 68."  Are you kidding? " Not surprisingly, most people over 65 have a different idea about old age.  Among those getting the senior discount, most say old age begins at 75." (That give me hope).

Most people under 30 think you're old by the time you hit 60."  hmmmmm

All I know is that I look back on my life and it has gone by like crazy.  There were so many things that I put on the back burner for later and now is it later and I still haven't done them.  Is it now to late?  Do I have time to get my life in order to meet my maker and have Him say, well done, or will He say you wasted your time.  If I live to be 89 years old like my parents I still have time, at least that is what I say.  You are never to old to form good new habits, eating healthy, exercising, reading good books, studying the scriptures, do good to your fellowmen, and so forth.  

I don't know quite how to end this blog about getting old, but I do know this, I love my life, I love being here on earth at this time and with the family Sid and I were blessed with.  I love the gospel and all the blessings it brings into my life and the different people I have met through the years at church and the example they have set for me.

6 comments:

Craig said...

Great thoughts and words to live by. Nobody asked me but I feel like I am 34.

matt and michelle ray said...

I love this! Back when i thought 30 was old, I didn't realize that us old people don't really feel our age. And I hope I never do! Who wants to feel like they're an old lady anyways?!

Debby said...

I love this post! I know what you mean. Most days I feel young too.

Tina said...

Very nice insightful post ma. I think about these things a lot too. I can say, if I look like you at your age I'll be happy! I think you have aged well.

Lana said...

love the thoughts and the pictures! you guys are so cute!!

Kori Wilson said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.