Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wonderful Honey



I started buying raw honey in Delta for my allergies and it worked pretty good and I loved eating a teaspoon every morning.  Then I moved here to Maryland and the question became where do I find raw honey?

I didn't have to look far.  The Amish have their own bees and in their markets you can find any size jar you might want.

The doctor I go to told Baxter and me, when you have a sore throat use honey to coat your throat instead of cough syrup.  It works.

I have started making Ezekiel bread and it calls for 1 cup honey; so I decided to go larger than a quart at a time.

I looked up honey to see what it said about it's properties.


Nectar itself is composed of mainly of sucrose and water.  Bees add enzymes that create additional chemical compounds, inverting the sucrose into fructose and glucose, and then evaporate the water so that the resulting product will resist spoiling.  (I know as you store honey it becomes hard, but setting the jar, or can, in hot water it becomes usable again with no flavor change)

Vitamins in honey are B6, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and certain amino acids.  Minerals are calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc.  (Good multi-vitamin I should think).

This natural sweetener has antioxidants --, is fat free and cholesterol free.

No wonder I like HONEY so much!!!!!

5 comments:

Grandpa Sid said...

That's "my Honey"

matt and michelle ray said...

And I'd much rather take honey than cough syrup! It's nice having Amish close by. (:

Darla said...

honey is great on small burns and abrasions, when it goes to sugar makes a great facial scrub never NEVER microwave it kills its antiseptic properties,,

The two old crows said...

Darla, I had read that about small burns but haven't tried it. I never microwave it.

Tina said...

Something good for you that actually tastes good! Yeah!