Friday, June 13, 2008

Pain

A few weeks ago I was in so much pain from head to toe. It last about a week. I can say I was not very nice and probably failed the test of patience.

I have been reading the book "Faith Precedes the Miracle" by Spencer W. Kimball. In the chapter Tragedy or Destiny?, he says No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. I wish I had read that before I got sick.

He also quotes a verse, the author is unknown

Pain stayed so long I said to him today,
"I will not have you with me any more."
I stamped my foot and said, "Be on your way,"
And paused there, startled at the look he wore.
"I, who have been your friend," he said to me,
"I, who have been your teacher--all you know
Of understanding love, of sympathy,
and patience, I have taught you. Shall I go?"
He spoke the truth, this strange unwelcome guest;
I watched him leave, and knew that he was wise.
He left a heart grown tender in my breast,
He left a far, clear vision in my eyes.
I dried my tears, and lifted up a song--
Even for one who'd tortured me so long.

I wish I could say that I had learned that but I don't think I did. All I know is it is great to feel good again and be able to move. Dad had the same thing and we both get tired quite fast.
We are both healing and love life.

2 comments:

young family said...

I'm really sorry you were hurting really bad for a week, that makes me sad!! It's good that you are feeling better now!That's kind of a coincedence that you read that after you were sick instead of before.Hope that doesn't happen again!

-Emma

Tina said...

I'm sorry you were in pain!!! Mom, I'm sure this is a lesson you have learned in your past, you just FORGOT. Even with that memory of an elephant I keep telling you that you have. Back in my college days, I went to a fireside be Ardeth Kapp. She said if you didn't have problems or pain, that you needed to pray for them, because you grow through adversity, not through the smooth sailing times. It was food for thought for me then, and I have to keep remembering it. I loved the poem.