Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Afternoon

Today has been sunny and bright. Church was great. We have a new missionary Elder Dillon, he was just in the Anacostia Ward for three months before coming here to our ward. He gave the lesson today in the Gospel principle class today, he did a pretty good job, especially when two good looking girls walked into class.

About this afternoon. Earlier in the week my sister Barbara called me on the phone and wanted me to send her a gedcom of my family history file so she could take a class. Then a couple of days later Tina and I were talking about the same thing. I thought Tina was going to download the paf file and then let me know so I could gedcom her. I got to thinking my file really isn't up to date. I had been working every Sunday in the Family History last year with insight to get my ordinances up to date. George called in November or December and asked me if I had gone into the new.familysearch. org. I had, so we both went into it together, so did Tina and I last week. Well to make the long story short, our lines are a mess. Left off ordinances and they have Sid dead, buried in Delta. Well actually Sid is in there twice, once living and once dead. Even Uncle Joe picked up on that one.

Thursday I bought and downloaded Family insight, it is supposed to work with the new.family search. This afternoon I worked all afternoon looking up missing ordinances and even added some new spouses. I saved it and went into my files and nothing. I couldn't find the information at all. I had been so excited because I found my Dad's sealing date to his parents and it wasn't there. So Sid, to the rescue. I had two files open and we found the information on one, but it had doubled up the parents and my dad then had three sets of parents. I finally went back into Family insight wrote down all the names I had looked up and started looking at each drive to find the information. When I found the right drive, I then matched merged all the new information and made a backup. Then Dad went into the Family insight and looked at a few things and showed me what I had done wrong. Turns out it is a pretty decent program when you know what you are doing.

I should be able to upload everything to the new.familysearch program and hopefully get everything straightened out. I"M STILL SMILING.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Well Good!!!

By the way, I downloaded PAF not 5 minutes after I talked to you, as I thought I'd told you I'd do!!! So I'm just waiting for you to get everything straightened out and send me a GEDCOM!!!! :):)

I've indexed over 500 names!! I kind of like doing it. Sometimes it boggles my brain, but I'll leave it and come back all refreshed.

Love you mom!

Emma said...

I think my parents looked at that and it was alll messed up. I hope we're able to straighten everything out.It sounds stressful!

King Family said...

What a day. Im glad you are still smiling. I sure am glad that you have the spirit of Elijah, hopefully I will get it someday. Good job grandma!