Monday, February 23, 2009

Sunday's Relief Society Lesson

Saturday as I was reading the lesson, Finding Joy in the Journey by President Thomas S. Monson, a couple of things danced out at me.
By the way the Bishop assigned this talk to someone to give in Sacrament yesterday so we had it twice.

The first thing was when President Monson talked about the Music Man and Professor Harold Hill. Professor Harold Hill voices a caution , says he " You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you've collected a lot of empty yesterdays."
When I look back on my life I think I have collected a lot of empty yesterdays. I have thought about all the things I wanted to do when I got older, retired, had all the money I needed. Now I'm to tired to drive to some of those places I wanted to see. Don't get me wrong, I loved raising our family and our camping and fishing trips. I have always wanted to travel and see the world. I have always wanted to see how many temples we could go through. Now there are so many temples in the world.

Another thing was the sentence we often assume that people know how much we love them. We should never assume; we should let them know. William Shakespeare wrote, "They do not love that do not show their love." I grew up in a home where I never heard I love you from my parents. I wondered if I was loved. After I was married and I would end a phone call to my parents with I love you, there would be a long pause. After awhile my mother started beating me with the phrase, I love you. Now she says it all the time. My dad would shine when you would tell him he was loved and he started saying it also. It is so important to say the words I LOVE YOU and mean them. President Monson says we will never regret the kinds words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us.

So I want everyone in my family to know how grateful I am for a good husband, good family, good parents and sisters, friends and my health. I love you all. I don't say it as often as I should and probably don't show it in actions like I should.

4 comments:

Sally Young said...

You write the best post on your blog! I went to a Home Coming dinner after church and missed R.S. Thanks for your words as they made me feel like I still got the main point of the lesson. I know I will try to import this into my life. I have had a lot of empty yesterdays in my life.

Tina said...

Love you too mom! Love your thoughts!

Bainter Family Antics said...

Love ya, I am so glad that I get to speak to you daily and I know we say Love you often.

King Family said...

I love you too grandma! What a great talk. We should all have that in our lives.