Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What I like about the summer

I love to garden in the summer, not necessarily weeding but watching the produce grow, and then being able to harvest and eat what we have been growing.
These are the first beans I picked. I picked them this morning. They are bush beans. The pole beans are still just blooming.
We have picked a few cucumbers in the last couple of weeks, I still have three or four this size waiting to be picked. Nothing like cucumbers in vinegar or in sour cream.
While in Oregon this spring I bought a new kind of watermelon while we were at the Chinese gardens. They are putting on pretty good now. You really can't see them very good, but they are loaded with fruit and blossoms. I always like to try something new every year.

I planted the corn in different stages because of the squirrels, this is my tallest corn.

Then comes my first tomatoes that I planted this spring. We have been eating wonderful tomatoes. We had a run on ripe tomatoes from the blossoms that were on when we bought the plants, now we have to wait for the rest, but they are starting to show color. Oh BLT's.

This short corn we just planted a few weeks ago.
The green peppers are doing great!!!!

Here is a picture of our pole beans. Some are growing taller than our web.

This is another crop I can hardly wait for Sweet Potatoes. Hopefully they will cover the ground and no more weeding for awhile.

Another crop of corn. This one I went out and stood back up after a windy rainy storm.

Another thing I love about summer here is our butterfly bush. You can't see but usually it is loaded with butterflies. All I had to do was take out my camera and they disappeared. I did get one or two pictures though.


I love the trees and flowers here in Maryland also. I just can't tell where I'm at because of all the trees. No mountains to gage where I'm at or no straight roads if I turn wrong.
Oh what do you do in the Summertime???? Have Fun!!!!!!

7 comments:

Bainter Family Antics said...

nice mom!

Tina said...

Great post mom! It makes me wish I had been able to plant . . . I'll just glean from you!

Shelly said...

I L-O-V-E your butterfly bush! What a great thing to have!

Mary Jo said...

Gorgeous garden! Nothing better than fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes and corn on the cob. (And green beans, and sweet potatoes.) You've got all my favorites - except you're missing eggplant. :)

The two old crows said...

Mary Jo, I am missing eggplant and zucinni. I have tried every year that I have gardened here and I can't raise carrots, eggplant or zuccinni.

Sharp Family said...

Wow, looks like you will be enjoying wonderful fresh produce all summer! So far all we've gotten to eat is cilantro, but more is hopefully coming:) I'm truly impressed with your gardening skills!

Mary Jo said...

Oh, sad. That's strange that they won't grow. Your sunrise picture is beautiful.