Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Green Beans

In Utah I tried growing green beans.  I don't think there was a year that I didn't try something new so that I could grow green beans.  They just didn't like the alkaline soil.
Last year I grew pole and bush beans.  They did wonderful but I didn't know what to do with them.  I did freeze them and they are okay.
This year I only planted bush beans, 4 rows.  They are growing like gang busters.  This is the second picking and I have more in the refrigerator and more to be picked.  This is a bowl of Sweet-Sour Green Beans.  Oh soooo Yummy!!!!!

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested.

Sweet-Sour Green Beans
3 lbs green beans
3 onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1 1/3 c. vinegar
1 2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. water
3 tblsp. salad oil, I used olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
.Cut off tips of beans; leave whole.  Cook in boiling salted water until tender.  Drain.
. Combine beans and onion rings in a large bowl.  Stir together remaining ingredients.  Pour over beans.  Refrigerate at least 24 hours, stirring occasionally.  Makes about 3 1/2 qts.

7 comments:

Bainter Family Antics said...

They are yummy and I want some!

The two old crows said...

Come over tomorrow or maybe they will be good in a couple of hours.

The two old crows said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby said...

They look yummy!

matt and michelle ray said...

Oh my, that sounds delicious!!

King Family said...

Sounds good, but who in their right mind would eat something with so many onions!?! Ewww! I'd have to pick those nasty things out.

Sydney said...

Hahaha. I know how you feel. Last year, our beans grew and grew and there were waaaay too many. The beans look tasty! I wants some now. =)