Monday, May 11, 2009

Our New Honda

Saturday we woke up to cloudy skies and 80 degree temperatures. Good day to garden. First we went grocery shopping and on the way stopped at a Honda outlet. Let me back track. A couple a weeks before we went to Oregon I received about 100 walla walla onion plants. I didn't have any place to put them so I put them in one of my patio blueberry containers. They have been growing together ever since. So here was a great opportunity to get them in the ground.

Here is Sid after a few rounds with our new Honda. It tills pretty good and leaves the soil really fine and ready to plant. Of course being so small it takes longer than a big tiller but it does the job.

Steve had already had a big day. He and his boys had worked on their tree house and then had gone swimming with Stevie with her birthday party. When he saw Sid out tilling he went up the street and got a friend's tiller and came back to help. You notice that Baxter took over from Grandpa and then he and Steve tilled. If you look you can see some of my onion plants that I planted where Sid tilled.

Sid finished cutting off limbs of the pine trees, Baxter had done the upper part of the garden, that were hanging in the way.

Because it has been raining all week the ground was soft and it clung to the blades of the tiller. About every two rounds Baxter had to stop and clean them off.


Here are the three of us, Baxter just about to start tilling again, Steve tilling and me planting. I planted about 4 rows of onions. My tomatoes are still on the patio ready to go in and then I need to buy some green peppers and I have my Shirley sauce ingredients.

We quit at sunset. A big rewarding day.

4 comments:

Tina said...

I'm sure that made you happy! I'm missing digging in the dirt! Just not in the cards for me this year. Cute little tiller!!!

Emma said...

Looks really good! Are you going to plant any other plant or just the peppers? I've never seen or worked a tiller. I must admit it does not look like fun!!=)

The two old crows said...

No emma, I have some cumcumbers, watermelon, and some squash started in the house. I also want to plant some corn.

Debby said...

Isn't gardening relaxing. It is rewarding too, especially if we grow more than the deer eat.