Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Swallows

The barn swallow is a neat bird. In Abraham I loved having them mud up my house because they loved mosquitoes. They would fly around and nip mosquitoes right out of the air. Well this morning as I was coming up from the garden I noticed this one sitting on my wooden post outside the sun room looking to see if anyone was about so he could fly to his nest.


Next he flew up to the roof, still looking around. Cute aren't they. You can even see the mud in his or her bill.


I didn't realize that he was waiting on his mate that was mudding on our outside light above our stairs. Isn't that going to be great, all the bird poop on the stairs. It isn't like it will be two swallows, they bring back their little ones all summer long. But I guess the upside is..... we have mosquitoes here they can eat.
I was coming up from the garden to tell Sid that the squirrels are digging up our seed corn and eating it before it even sprouts. Or if it does sprout they dig up the root and eat it and leave the top laying on the ground.


2 comments:

Tina said...

Hey, I read a trick in a magazine today about keeping out the squirrels. . . spread cayenne pepper around where you don't want them. I guess you could get the pepper in bulk at BJ's!

Mary Jo said...

Pretty pictures. :) Good luck with the squirrels.