Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Seedlings, potatoes, blueberries, and rhubarb

This year I'm trying something different.  I didn't make my pots this year and I think I might have planted my cucumbers, squash and pumpkins to soon.  Of course today it is in the 80's and that always makes me think that summer is here and the garden should be planted.

 


My blueberries in both pots are blooming like crazy. So far Bubbles hasn't taken a liking to them.  I even saw a bee in them this morning


These blueberry blossoms remind me of bluebells.  Hopefully we will have a good crop of berries.  We only had one (1) berry last year.

Trudy mentioned planting seed potatoes in containers.  This morning Sid cut up a barrell and we put white potatoes in one and yellow potatoes in the other one.  We layered soil and then potatoes and then soil.  There are about 3 layers in each.  We will see how it works.  I would love to be able to eat young potatoes all summer and then  make a white sauce with new peas. Like Gran used to make, white sauce new potatoes and peas.


A friend of ours moved to Georgia last year and gave Sid some currant bushes.  We have three bushes, all lived and are now full of blossoms.  I can hardly wait to see if we get enough for currant pie and some jelly.

Both my rhubarb plants made it another year.  I transplanted them last fall to a better place and they are looking a lot better.  A friend brought me another root this spring that I put in the ground today.  Hopefully we will get enough for a rhubarb custard pie.  If not maybe just a rhubarb cake.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Looking good. . . . and your seedlings are doing MUCH better than mine . . . . I wonder what I've done wrong???? hmmmmm

Bainter Family Antics said...

You are so awesome!!!

The two old crows said...

I have mine in the sunroom. I bought one that had a plastic top. The squash have gotten to big because I didn't take the lid off soon enough.

matt and michelle ray said...

That is amazing! I know who to call now with my gardening questions! i know nothing but am determined to learn! We're gonna try Square Foot Gardening... we'll see how it goes! I guess I need to get on that quickly with all of this beautiful weather!

Shelly said...

Ok, Cecilia. You seriously have a very green thumb. I NEED you to teach me some secrets. We are trying to garden over here with a little square foot garden. This year we are doing a vertical garden and are growing up. We aren't having good luck with transplanting our starts though. And with the heavy rain that just came through, I'm afraid we'll have to start over. I LOVE that you are growing blueberries!!

Becky said...

I have heard that you can plant potatoes in tires filled with straw. That way when you are ready to harvest you remove a tire and dig through the straw and the potatoes are relatively clean (at least with no sticky soil). But, I've never tried it. My potatoes last year didn't do so well. Actually, none of my potted garden did. They did fine until I went to Sweden. They were suffering some after that. Then one month later I went to Grenada and my garden gave out on me. Next time I try I think I'll just start with lettuce. I love having fresh bibb lettuce to pick for a salad every night. Yum! Good luck with your garden!