Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 5 of our travels to Myrtle Beach, Surfside

 Since this was Sunday we all decided we wouldn't go to the beach we would do other things.  The Bainters decided to go on a alligator adventure (maybe Trudy will blog about this) and Lincoln, Tina, Mckay, Hope,  dad and I went to the Brookgreen Gardens.
"From its beginning in 1931 when Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington created this non-profit outdoor museum with its majestic oaks and world-renowned sculpture, it has been a place to restore your soul and renew your spirit.  Wide expansive lawns lure you to relax while serene garden allow space for reflection."(from the brochure). The collection now contains over 1,400 works spanning the entire period of American sculpture from the early 1800s to the present in over 50 acres.  
It was a VERY hot day so we had our water and stood under HUGE trees to cool off. The minute we walked into Anne's Garden the mosquitoes found us. Back we went into the gift shop and bought Off sheets for each of us.  They worked!!!! There was no way we could see it all and I took lots of pictures.  The pass entitled us to come back for a week but there was not enough time to go back.  I would love to go there again. I took 217 pictures; I'll be hard pressed to find my favorite ones.  This is a long blog.  SORRY

Mckay

These huge trees with Spanish Moss hanging from them were all over the place.


































They have large grasshoppers in the gardens.






By this time it was lunch time and we all needed to cool off.  I got out my camera and the waitress asked if she could take our picture.  She took one for me and one for Tina.

Side view

My front view while eating

great lunch

After lunch we drove over to the Low country zoo. There they had animals that are now considered historic "rare breeds".  Then we walked through the The Cypress Swamp (Aviary) and saw the Native animal habitats.  Last of all we walked through the Butterfly House. This was in the Brooklawn Gardens.














A red fox asleep in a tree.  Yes they climb trees.













After we walked through the butterfly house we decided to go back to the condo to see what the others were doing.  It was a free night and we wondered where we would eat.  Bainters and Hope decided to stay at the condo and eat left overs, but Lincoln had seen a place he wanted to eat at.  He found it and it was closed on Sundays.  On the way back to the condo we found a Texas Mex place.




Fried Ice Cream  YUMMY!!!!!!  I wonder why I gained 7 pounds.


I love those trees with the Spanish Moss.

Another wonderful day.  Sorry about all the pictures.

3 comments:

Tina said...

I loved the pictures mom. It would be nice to go back to the gardens when we could take some more time and when it wasn't so HOT! The storm at the end of the day helped cool it off a little!

Tina said...

That fried ice cream was awesome wasn't it???

Debby said...

I love all the pictures. I can see why you enjoyed the garden. It is beautiful. Thanks for posting all the pictures.