Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thursday, Friday and Saturday Aug 18-20

Thursday we went to Susan's house for a barbecue on the way over to her house we saw this sign.  We had a delightful time with our family and Susan's.  


Sid and our son George

Susan, our granddaughters Emma, Jackie and their grandparents, the Kinsmans.

These little girls were so sweet.

Everyone thought Susan and I look like sisters.

Tayler,  Sydney and Emma
Friday was the viewing.
Riley's friends paying their last respects

fire department lined up



Hope  receiving Riley's fire helmet from his friend Cody.  They were cadets together


The military also lined up and went individually and saluted Riley.


Saturday was the day of the funeral.  Riley's family doesn't belong to our church, but they held the funeral at the the Stake Center in Forest Grove. It was full of people and the service was very touching.  Hope and George asked me to lead the music which I did.  It was an honor to do so.



Bagpipers  They also played behind the casket as it was taken into the chapel. They did stay in the cultural hall




Blocking the freeway entrances to the cemetery.


That way they closed a four lane freeway all the way to the cemetery from Forest Grove to past Portland.  It took us about 45 minutes.
 




Folding the flag





Going up to the grave site

 Afterwards we went back to the Stake Center, where the Relief Society sisters had a meal prepared. They were from our son's ward that they go to.  Susan, Riley's mother, could hardly believe her eyes when she saw all the food.



Sid Jr and Sid Sr.

It was a spiritual experience for me.  I hope I'm a better person for being able to be a part of this; seeing how our faith is helping Hope get through this, seeing how Riley's family handled this and how much they love Hope.  I know my Heavenly Father lives, I know that Jesus is our Savior that he lived and died for me.   Although I don't understand why this had to happen I know there is a plan and everything will be alright

3 comments:

matt and michelle ray said...

i'm so glad you were able to be there for her. that has got to be so difficult. our prayers are with her and all of your family. and i love that the town went all out for such a special fallen soldier!

Tina said...

I know you weren't looking forward to writing this post ma, but you did a great job. Thanks for sharing it with us who weren't able to be there.

Lincoln read it and said you handled the post very tastefully.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

How sad that such a promising young man had to leave this world and his young wife behind. Hope and Ryley's family are in my thoughts and prayers.