Friday, November 28, 2008

Christmas Cactus

Two Christmas ago Trudy and I were shopping at Lowe's and we both saw these beautiful Christmas Cacti blooming. So we each bought one and brought them home. Immediately they dropped their blossoms. What a disappointment. I remember when I was a child my dad, a school teacher, always had Christmas cacti blooming in his classroom. When he retired and brought them home they never bloomed again.
Well I kept mine alive and last Christmas nothing. Nothing at all bloomed. So I thought I will try it one more year. I stuck it out in the sun porch and kinda forgot about it. About once a month I watered it. Then when I had a party here I decided to put it in the master bathroom where it was sorta dark but got the humidity from our showers.
When I went to put it in the front room the leaves were starting to turn a funny color. I almost threw it away. Then two days later I noticed these small buds on the end of the pedal. Ah Ha.
You could almost see it growing. Now I'm not going to bore you with all the pictures I took but here are some of them.


This plant just seemed to jump at night. We would get up in the morning and more buds on the ends and then the buds just started to bloom.




I just had to take pictures of the blossoms. They are so delicate and beautiful.
















There are even more blossoms today than yesterday when I took the pictures.







This is how I imagine Dad smiling at my blooming Cactus. He did love the Christmas Cacti.

4 comments:

King Family said...

I didn't know he was a teacher. That's really neat. And those are very pretty. I don't think i've ever seen one before.

The two old crows said...

Yep, he started teaching in 1950 when I started the 1st grade. Then when I was in the 7th grade we moved to Salt Lake so he could get his masters in Special Education. When he retired he was a supervisor in the Jordan School district over the Special Ed program.

Tina said...

Very pretty plant! Justin took some great pictures of the blooms too.

Annette said...

My Christmas cactus has bloomed also
they are very pretty I will send you the pictures of mine when I get them in the computer. That's a great picture of dad is made me cry. He is missed very much