Thursday, November 20, 2008

Peanuts

Remember the peanuts that Grandpa dug a month ago. He and I went out the shed today and took them down and harvested them into this bowl. I wanted to see how we did (since my failure this year with the sweet potatoes) so I went to the Internet. I found that we had raised 3 lbs or 5662.80 lbs per acre, that figures about 2 1/2 ton per acre. On today's market that figured out to be $4,190.47 per acre, taking 50% off for expenses that is $2,000 and on our farm in Abraham (200 acres) hmmmmm that is $400,000. Why didn't we raise peanuts??????
We have Stevie home today from school because she didn't feel very good. I baked some peanuts in the oven and I think she just about ate all of them. Don't worry there is plenty for Thanksgiving. I'll bake them and we all can have hot peanuts. YUMMY


These are the peanuts before I cleaned them up. I put them into a pillowcase and took them out on the deck and manhandled them until they had all the dirt off.







2 comments:

Debby said...

Our only experience was at the church farm in Texas. Gary just remembers it was hot. I remember the red dirt was hard to get out of the clothing. Enjoy those penuts

King Family said...

Thats pretty neat. Im sad I wont be able to try them.