Friday, March 27, 2009

Back Flash Friday--Our Trip to Cancun 1988

In 1987 I was working at the Delta Pharmacy and someone came in talking about their trip to Cancun and I decided I wanted to go. I talked to Sid and he said noway, but he might go if I could find the money. So guess what, I found the money and we went. This picture is just at the exit to the Salt Lake Airport. I liked the big X.

I still couldn't believe we were going so I had to take this picture of the inside of the airplane. It was full of people when we left the ground.

This is the inside of the hotel that we stayed at. They greeted everyone with a drink that we handed back asking for 7-up. The hotel wasn't quite finished and I guess that is why we got it for just a cheap rate.

This is a view to the ocean. A lot of the time there was a red flag out so we couldn't swim just sun bathe.
This is the inside court.

Can you believe Dad relaxing and reading a book. By the end of the week he could hardly wait to get back to the farm.

The first night we were there we went to a Mexican program that told their history in dance.


You can see in this picture drinks. Everywhere we went the first thing they did was hand us a drink. We would tell the waiters that we didn't drink and they would either bring us a 7-up or a coke. This night the couple sitting next to us asked me if we were LDS and I said yes. They had seen our young missionaries in their town and after visiting with Dad and me they decided they would let them in the next time they knocked on their door.





The next afternoon we went to the bull fights. They were quite interesting and we got caught up in the booing of the matador when he was killing the bull. I think I would rather see a bull fight in Portugal where they don't kill the bull.

We took a boat ride out to an island. That was to get you to buy time shares but it was fun anyway. We went snorkeling there. I didn't see much because my glasses were off.


This is just one of the narrow streets on the island.

I think the funist of all was when we went to Chtzen-Itza on the bus. We stopped at lunch time at a place and these two young dancers entertained us.


These pictures are out of order but oh well. This is a picture Dad took coming down the the pyramid at Chtzen-Itza. I got to dizzy so I stayed on the ground.

This is the back of the pyramid that dad climbed.


The front.

This is the ball court. A person could stand at one end and whisper and you could understand everything he said. This is where they would play ball and the winning person, the one who could put the ball through the hoop, got the honor of having his head cut off.

This was taken in the temple of the Gods. There were 12 of these statues holding this stone up.

This is the conservatory. Dad had to run to get this picture and he did go inside. There were people inside praying. He had to hurry so we wouldn't get left. I think again if we were to go we were rent a car so we could spend more time here and see other sites.

The week ended to fast for me. I had gotten a bad sun burn the day before and had used Vicks to help the burn feel good. We woke up to it raining and no electricity, so no shower, then went and sat in a hot airport until boarding our plane. But given the chance I would do it again.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Fun flashback! I can't remember hearing much about your trip. It is nice to read about it and see what you did!

young family said...

I want to go back, it was so warm and fun. I am pretty sure I couldn't watch a bull fight though. Maybe someday George will want to go somewhere with me ;)