Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stevie at the piano

I started Stevie on the piano last year. I guess you know I teach Noah and Zane also. Stevie could hardly wait to take lessons and looks forward every week to her lessons. I have never had a student look forward to lessons before. Every morning Stevie comes into our house and practices before she gets on the bus. She is doing very well. She went through the primer books faster than any other student I have had here in Maryland and now is in book 1.(Technique, Performance and Lesson.) You can see when I took this picture she was playing Ode to Joy. To see a almost 7 year old sitting at the piano playing Ode to Joy is a treat. She is one student that said the names of the notes on every piece until just a few months ago and she also counts out loud.
If you teach piano you know having a student count out loud is like pulling teeth and some still don't even silently and wonder why they are taking the piece over and over again. Course some of it is because they don't practice. Even though this isn't Tuesday, I want you to know I look forward to Tuesday because I start my day by giving Stevie her piano lessons before the bus comes and end up giving Noah and Zane their lessons Tuesday after school.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Very neat! And way to go Stevie!

Jackie said...

haha, this makes me think about how i was as your student, hmmm...i probably was one that made you want to pull your teeth out :) i hated to count aloud :)

Very cool Stevie, keep it up!

Sid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sid said...

Hey Jackie,

I'm guessing either your dad, Stevie's mom, or I made Grandma pull her teeth out more than any of you. And probably in the order above, given that is the order of how little piano we learned :-)

Mary Jo said...

hehe Tina, I remember having piano lessons from you . . . *sigh.* Wish I would have practiced harder. Sorry 'bout that. :)