Friday, December 19, 2008

Flashback Friday

This is a picture of our old swimming hole. It was a pond that our irrigation well pumped into before it went into ditches to irrigate our crops. Here is Sid's mother, Emily, Sid Jr, Tina, Me holding George, and Trudy.
This is where we would swim just about every afternoon, the water temperature was about 78 degrees so it really felt good on a hot day. It even felt better on a cold day.
In July 1966 just two weeks before Sid Jr was born, our family and Hal's family were up swimming and Ken came down with the chickenpox. I could just see myself having a baby with the chickenpox. I had never had them. I didn't get them but when Sid Jr was two weeks old he was sure fussy and he has never had the chickenpox so I think he had them as a baby.
We had a dog we called old Blue. When he saw us heading to the swimming hole he would beat us up there and be swimming when we got there.
A lot of other people like the old pond also. The only other place to swim was in the murky reservoir. The only problem was they didn't think the pond was deep enough so they would dam up the ditch and shut off the water so there was no water to irrigate with. Sometime Sid would be kicking out kids at midnight that were there swimming.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Great memories! I love the fact that Grandma was with us! I remember swimming there, and I remember dad and grandpa getting furious when someone had dammed up their irrigation water!

Ceci said...

I remember the pollywogs. Could I possibly really remember them, I was so young? Hum!!! Trudy

The two old crows said...

I think the water ran to fast in the pond for pollywogs. I think we found pollywogs after we moved to sutherland