Thursday, December 4, 2008

Something different and Special

When they first called me as the compassionate service leader, the President of the Relief Society asked me if I would help her dress the dead if needed. Well I worried about that for awhile but during her term of RS Presidency no lady in our ward died.
Then the second lady was called as RS President and she asked me the same thing. Piece of cake right!!!!.

Well Sunday a woman in a care center here died and the RS President called me and another Lady in our ward to go and dress her. You know I thought I would be all nervous and when I talked to Juli Tolson she had never dressed a body either and we didn't know how the two of us were going to handle it. Still I never got nervous and I felt very calm about the whole thing.

Last night Juli picked me up. I had the temple clothes and the instructions of what to do and in what order. When we got there our RS President, Colleen, was there to help.

I have to say it was a most spiritual experience and I would do it again. The three of us worked quite well together and when we needed help the mortician came and turned and held the lady so we could button her dress in the back. When we finished dressing her she was beautiful.

All I can say is, if you are called to dress the dead, do it.

4 comments:

King Family said...

That does sound like a kind of scary thing to do. Im glad you had a good experience. That's pretty neat.

Tina said...

I was asked to help dress someone I visit taught that passed away. I was a little intrigued, but didn't end up doing it.

Debby said...

I've heard it is one of the most special experiences. I'm glad you had such an awesome experience.

young family said...

I've heard it is a good experience, I am not sure if I am ready for that, but I would never say no.

I am glad it was a good experience for you.