Friday, December 5, 2008

A pleasant day of Quilting

Yesterday Tina emailed me and asked if she could come out and help me quilt and of course I said yes.

After her piano lessons this morning out she came and was here by 11:00 am. We quilted up a storm. I made lunch for her, dad and me.



After school Ceci and Baxter came in to see why Tina was here. As you can see we were on our last roll. Well sorta of, when Tina first got here I thought I was done with one of the blocks so I told her I would just wait for her to finish. She was hungry and why said why don't you go fix lunch. When dad and her went to roll the quilt they found I hadn't gone around the block so they rolled it anyways and so I unrolled the quilt after Tina left and finished the block. Tina must have gotten me flustered.

As we were quilting Tina said she now realized why women used to get together to quilt. It is quite a social event. Women used to bring their children, who would play together and the kids would crawl under the quilt and just have fun. The women of course would quilt and gossip. That is what Tina and I did today, we just gabbed and laughed and let our cares go by the wayside.

I think that is the one thing I miss about Relief Society work day, or what ever it is called today, is not having a quilt or two on, and sitting around talking and sometimes having the lesson around the quilt. Here I am at my best talking while watching two friends tie a quilt.

7 comments:

Tina said...

I had a great time mom . . . let me know when you get the next one on!

Bainter Family Antics said...

I told Tina that I was jealous. I was at school with a bunch of sick K students and you were having fun. (I hope I don't get sick again!)

Jackie said...

I have never quilted, but i think i have seen you quilt before. And when i was younger, i remember my Grandma Kinsmans HUGE quilting machine that was in our house.

King Family said...

That sounds like fun. I would like to try and learn how to quilt sometime. What a rewarding skill!

Tina said...

Is that Gladys Loveless and Ida Tolbert?

The two old crows said...

Yes that is Gladys Loveless and Ida Tolbert. I had forgotten I had that picture until I was doing George's birthday pictures.

young family said...

I enjoy quilting and visiting, I guess it is the visiting part that I really enjoy. The quilt is just a bonus :)

I'm glad you guys had fun together.